Bournemouth Spiritualist Church
16 Bath Road
Site updated 17 July 2015
At the beginning of this century, around 1904, a Mr John Walker and three friends -
Opening of Charminster Church
The Society was opened in 1905. They shortly moved to premises in what was then called Town Hall Avenue, where the Sunday services were held in a café. It was here that Vincent N. Turvey, an author, did so much work. Some time later a Mr Hiscock and a Mrs Hayter, who had been members for some time, later opened the church which is still doing good work in Charminster Road today.
Moving to Bath Road
The Membership was now steadily growing. After various changes, we settled for a time in the Wilberforce Halls, Holdenhurst Road, and here we started to form ourselves into a church, allying ourselves with the Spiritualists’ National Union. Rules were formed and an organised Council and membership established. On leaving Wilberforce Hall in 1920-
The Healing Guild
A great interest in healing had been taking place since the early days and the President in 1921, Mr Lonsdale was responsible for its inauguration.
Upon our move to Bath Road, the healing work increased rapidly and on Mr Lonsdale’s death, Mr Blake became the leader in 1935. The building adjoining the Church came once more into the possession of the Church, having been purchased by the Misses Wadlow for the sum of £6,000 and presented to the Bournemouth National Spiritualist Church to be used as a Healing Guild.
A Short History of the Church